Historic St. Louis Mine and Camp
20 Acre Lode Claim Wallapai District
Mohave County, ArizonaContact Gold Rush Expeditions
Use code JRM1003 for a 10% discount.
Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. is proud to present the Historic St Louis Gold Mining Claim. This is a 20 acre lode mining claim for sale exclusively through Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. The claim is located just outside of Kingman, Arizona and has been properly staked and marked at all corners. All Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. claims have been meticulously surveyed, mapped and researched. Field work is completed by our own experienced, well versed Mine Survey Team.
The St. Louis is a large and significant mining property that has produced good quality gold and silver. The claim contains a series of adits and shafts working up the side of the mountain. All of the mines are open and have not been damaged by reclamation. The lowest portal, known as the Jewelry Store drift shows some quality gold and silver deposits. It has filled a bit with run off and would need to be dug out to be safely worked commercially. It has been bolted in the spine and is stable and competent.
Above the Jewelry store drift is another series of adits cut up the mountain. These cuts are all on the same general trend. There is a shaft near the middle camp and one at the top of the hill providing access to the apex of the vein. The mines show native gold and some native silver. There is substantial lead and silver content in sulfides as well. Sulfides are notoriously difficult to process. The primary mineral value should be noted as the native silver and gold. There is also copper found throughout the workings in dark nodules and veins.
There is excellent historical documentation of this claim site available. This due to a report from the Arizona State Engineer in 1981. The report details the gold and native silver values and reports that there are substantial reserves Just outside of Cerbat Arizona. Mine is cut on multiple levels all the way up the side of the mountain working the same vein of gold and silver. The area is remote and does not appear to get much traffic. Roads are passable but deeply rutted and will require high clearance 4WD. Large operation at one point in time. Appears to last have been worked in the 1980s. entrance to the lowest adit has been shored up nicely.
History of the Mines
The St. Louis Mine was discovered about 1865 according to F.C. Schrader. During his inspection of the mine, in 1905, mining operations were under the St. Louis Consolidated Mining and Milling Company of Los Angeles, California (owners).
F. C. Schrader, inU. S. Geological Survey Bulletin No. 397, says in part as follows:
The ore deposits of this district contain principally gold, silver and lead. They occur in fissure veins, which in general have a northwesterly trend and a steep northeasterly or southwesterly dip. Those situated north of Cerbat Wash are chiefly gold bearing; those to the south contain principally silver and lead. The gangue 1s mainly quartz and the values usually favor the hanging wall. The principal minerals are pyrite, chalcopyrite, galena, zinc blende, stibnite and native gold.
Mining work was on a moderate scale, during intermittent periods. Development was principally by drift adits and shafts within a vertical range of about 400 ft. below the surface. Five separate veins were exploited within the upper levels. No mining or exploration was done below the strong ore exposure within the Jewelry Store drift near the base of the mountain, at the access road level, about 4150 ft. in elevation.
Records of past operations and production from the mine are incomplete, but production records compiled by the u.S. Bureau of Mines from 1901 through 1948 are listed in U.S.G.S.
During 1942 the property was examined by an Arizona State engineer in company with Mr. A.T. Leitzow (the last mine owner and operator, prior to the present owners). About 400 tons of ore had been produced by this operator prior to that time.
The mine property consists of ten un-patented claims named: St. Louis and St. Louis Nos. 2 through 10, inclusive; which were purchased from the estate of A.T. Leitzow lD 1981.
No work has been done since about 1948 by former owner A.T. Leitzow. Acquisition of the property by the new owners, and recent litigation, has impeded any recent mining activity.
A report dated July 31, 1980, by this author describes the most promising Jewelry Store deposit; which supplements reserves from previously mined veins considered in this report.
1948 SUMMARY OF ORE RESERVES:
- Previously mined (1865-Present) .. . .3240 tons
- known (positive or measured ore) 90 tons
- Indicated (exposed on one side). . .3550 tons
- Inferred (geologic evidence & proximity)
(a) Estimated ore reserves (all classes) 8500 tons (Use)
(b) Estimated present value per ton F.O.B. @Smelter:
- Silver 15 oz/T. @ $8.00/02 $120.00/T.
- Lead- 400 Ibs/T. @ $0.24/1b = $ 96.00/T.
- Total Value/To = $216.00/T.
(c) Estimated valuation ore blocks
- Blocks A, B & E (previously mined)
- Block G (measured) 90x$216 $ 19,440.00
- Blocks C, F & R (Indicated) 3550x$216 $ 766,800.00
- Blocks D & I (Inferred) 4860x$216 51,049,760.00
- Total estimated Reserves:
(all classes) 8500 (Tons) = $1,836,000.00
Asking Price: $8,000
Contact: Gold Rush Expeditions
Use code JRM1003 for a 10% discount.