Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. is proud to present the Historic Gold Mountain Gold Mining Claim for Sale. The Gold Mountain is a 20 acre lode mining claim for sale exclusively through Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. The claim is located just outside of Hill City, South Dakota and has been properly staked and marked at all corners. All Gold Rush Expeditions, Inc. claims have been meticulously surveyed, mapped and researched. Field work is completed by our own experienced, well versed Mine Survey Team.
This is an epically historic mine located in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The claim was worked for gold and has an extensive history of production. The ore bin and tipple have been restored and saved from destruction. As part of the building restoration, there are interpretive signs around the claim that discuss the mining methods and men of the day. Some of the information is accurate, some is far from accurate and told with a very anti-mining spin.
As with any mining claim, the real history is underground and has not been plastered on any signs. The main portal has been grated and drops roughly 40' to a drift level that is not documented.
This claim is easy to get to and very close to Historic Hill City. The claim will most likely not be accessible in winter, once the snow falls. In fact most of the town of Hill City shuts down in the winter months. The town and area is hopping in the summer months. Visitors to Sturgis and Mount Rushmore pack the streets and hotels.
History of the Mines
From a 1940s report The Gold Hill group, formerly known as the Gold Lode, is being explored and developed by the Gold Mountain Mining Co. under the direction of A. Jackson Birdsell of Spearfish, S. Dak. The property comprises of 10 unpatented claims about 4 miles north of Hill City. It is held under lease with an option to buy. In the summer of 1938 the mine was being developed from a vertical shaft and the ore treated in a 25-ton mill operating one shift a day.
The mine was operated about ten years, from 1929 to its forced closure in 1941. The gold was found in fissure veins, it was free-milling, or native, and found in bodies as wide as 5'. The mine was taken over in 1945 and worked by small mining groups on and off until 1960. A larger mining company bought out the miners in 1960 and held the property until early 1990 when the company went bankrupt. The mine is thought to have not been worked since 1960. There are no existing maps or documentation of the workings underground.
The Black Hills National Forest Service sought to reclaim the mine in 2007 and destroy the building as the usual MO. Instead the Black Hills Historical Preservation Trust fought for it to be first left alone, and then restored. From 2009-2012, the Black Hills Historical Preservation Trust raised over $40k and donated thousands of hours to the restoration. The Forest Service supervised the restoration under guidance of Archeologist, Michael Salisbury. The Forest Service did make sure they got paid during the restoration process, removing 15 to 20 tons of unprocessed gold bearing ore from the mill.